November 11, 2010

Embies Are Home!

The embryos have been placed this afternoon!

We got the call at 9:00 am that the transfer will be at 11:15. After collecting ourselves, we rushed off to acupuncture. What a perfect way to start off this special day. The treatment left me with a great sense of peace and that everything will be ok. We then headed to our clinic in Newport Beach.

After check in, we were sent up to the embryo lab to meet with the embryologist. Brian and i sat there feeling nervous, excited and not sure what to expect. One thing for sure is we were full of smiles and ready for this big step.

The embryologist came out and first gave us a picture of our four embryos. It was truly amazing. We had one super duper roller, a rockstar, and two roadies. He explained to us how perfectly shaped the cells were even though two were slow growers. We then discussed the risks of multiples and our desires. All in all we were advised by both the embryologist and Dr. A to transfer all embryos to give us the best chance of a successful pregnancy. The likelihood of all four implanting was less then 1%, three less then 5%, twins a very real possibility of which we are game for.

We were escorted to the transfer room that was filled with the sounds of waves and a relaxing atmosphere. They turn on the tv and showed us a video clip of our embryos that was filmed that morning. It was really nice how personal everything was. Then it was game time.

The actual placement procedure happened to be the easiest part of the entire IVF process. Dr. A used an ultrasound machine to obtain optimal placement which took all but ten minutes. Absolutely no pain or discomfort. When he was done, he turned the monitor screen to show us where the embryos were settled. Click of a button he handed me a printed picture saying "the first for your baby book.". Music to my ears.

Dr. A ran through my do's and dont's. No alcohol, caffeine, exercise, and strict bed and house rest. The bed rest is until Monday morning, which only gives me necessary bathroom privileges. Starting Monday I am on house rest, but a completely sedentary lifestyle. Brian has his work cut out for him having to wait on me hand and foot. I may enjoy this!

Dr. A left the room saying he feels really good about us achieving pregnancy. Those words right there was the best thing I have ever heard. Brian and I spent the next 45 minutes alone reflecting on the whole process and the future while the embryos settled into their new home.

In reflection of the past few weeks, I will say it wasn't so bad. The hardest part was the unknown about the IVF process. Sure the shots, pills, poking and prodding are less then desirable, but they are a drop in the bucket in the whole scheme of things. I know some of you are embarking on this journey, do it. It is worth it!

Anyways...
My next appointment is November 23rd to take a blood pregnancy test. Do you think I will wait that long? Hell no! I will be peeing on sticks sometime late next week. Yes, I am a peestickaholic. Can you blame me?

When I am allowed to roam free, I will share our embryo pictures. I am sorry I have to run now, I have lots to do! Trash tv, magazines, movies, and munchies.

Thank you for the amazing outpour of love and support. You helped carry us through these trying times. Stay tuned, we hope to share some exciting news in the near future!

11 comments:

suntoto said...

Good luck!

BBH said...

I'm so excited for y'all!

Anonymous said...

This brings such happy tears to my eyes. Your doc sounds so wonderful and the "first for the baby book" comment holds such promise.

Enjoy your rest, Jenn. You deserve it! :-)

~C~ said...

Good luck hon! I've got my fingers crossed so hard for you guys! It sounds like everything is off to a great start :)

MV said...

This is such a great update! Can't wait to see the pictures. Enjoy your rest dear.

Secret Sloper said...

Honey, this post makes me so so happy. I LOVE the fact that you sound excited and joyful and I love that your doctor is being so supportive and encouraging.

I can't wait to get a look at the embies. Praying so hard for all of you.

You are PUPO!!

mlmtgg said...

What a great post! Your attitude, energy and excitement are infectious! So excited and hopeful for you, and I do hope you are being waited on hand and foot!

Melissa said...

Jen - This post made me cry tears of joy for you. Every good thought I have is coming your way. I cannot wait for 10ish days from now - I wish I could fast forward time for you. Mwah!!!

Sandra said...

So excited for you! Get tons of rest and take full advantage of Brian!!! Can't wait to see those beautiful embryo pictures!

Unknown said...

I am so excited! I have been showing off my Grand Embies!

M said...

I'm so happy for you. My fingers and everything else are crossed.

Post a Comment