November 08, 2010

Five Eggs!

Today was the big egg retrieval day or as they put it cyst aspiration surgery. We packed up and headed to Newport Beach mid morning. I was staving, thirsty, and very nervous. The thoughts of no eggs or ovulation were bouncing through my mind.

Check in was at 11:15 and they quickly whisked me away to pre-op. The nurse administers a drip IV and my worries took over. They finally bring Brian in to sit with me as we wait for the anesthesiologist and Dr. A. I shed several tears, I was afraid of the surgery, going under, and not getting eggs.

12:15 finally comes, they give me a light sedative and roll me away after a kiss goodbye. I was feeling pretty good by the time we reached the operating room. My arms get strapped down and poof that is all I remember. I wake up in recovery and the nurse tells me five eggs were retrieved! That little follicle made it to game time.

They had me in recovery for over an hour. I experienced pretty moderate pain and gladly accepted intravenous pain killers. Brian was brought in and we got to go home around 2:30 pm.

I have spent the rest of the day in bed drifting in and out of sleep. The area above my wrist where my IV was is very bruised and painful, is that normal? I am still pretty uncomfortable physically, but I feel that the worst is behind me. Well, I hope so. Now we wait for our call tomorrow. We have high hopes that all eggs fertilize and grow strong.

Thank you everyone for all the positive thoughts. I carried them with me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so excited! Wish I lived closer.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited about this, Jenn. I'm practically buzzing with it.

Your wrist is probably irritated from the localized heparin from the IV. It should resolve on its own, but you can use a little topical benadryl cream if it's really bothering you.

Post a Comment