Yesterday was another round of blood work and a follicle check ultrasound. The appointment started off really well as my right ovary had size 15, 14, and smaller and my left ovary had size 12, 10, and smaller. Dr. A is pleased. I feel this isn't many follicles for stimulation day 6, but what do I know? They say it is still early in the game. My endrometrium lining is growing nicely at 8.3mm. Now to the not so great part of the appointment.
The nurse first ran me through the mixing of Gonal-F with Luveris for my next round of evening injections. Luveris is a hormone used to support Gonal-F in further stimulating follicles to mature and develop. Sounds simple enough until I attempt this on my own.
The final part of my appointment was the administration of Cetrotide 3mg. Cetrotide controls the body's hormonal responses, which affect the development of eggs, by delaying the LH surge or in other words ovulation. This will allow the continual development of eggs to reach optimal development for fertilization. Moving on, the nurse mixes the dosage while informing me that the site may become red and very itchy a few minutes after the injection. The shot itself was easy, right into my stomach with a short needle. Done deal, time to eat!
Brian and I left to enjoy a nice lunch overlooking Laguna's coast. My stomach has swelled up with red itchy welts that were becoming painful to the touch. I was pretty miserable from that point forward. By the early evening my stomach was oddly swollen and it hurt to move or have any pressure. Time was nearing for my nightly injection and I was not looking forward to it at all. I sucked it up and began the process...
The new evening injection protocol
Luveris comes in two vials, the powdered hormone and a sterile water solution. The first step is injecting the Gonal-F into powdered Luveris and where I say goodbye to the nifty, foolproof injection pens. Hello horrible, real 3mm syringe with a gigantic 1-1/2" mixing needle! Next I draw up 1/2cc of the sterile water vial, add to the mixture, swirl around gently and it is ready to inject. Switch out the needle to a much more appealing 1/2" needle and draw up the entire solution. This whole process was a constant check and recheck as to whether I was measuring properly. The worst part of it was the intimidation of injecting yourself with a real syringe that a doctor would use. It takes a bit of practice to draw up the solution and hold the syringe for administration. After a minor freak out, Brian laughing at me, and staring at my already unhappy belly.... Pinch, poke, whoa that is a lot of fluid, count to five and I am done. Whew! Now to repeat this for the next few nights. Fun times!
I have been dealing well with the whole IVF process up until today. I am feeling weepy, agitated, and just emotional. I suspect the hormones have a lot to do with this. I also have this fear that despite the anti-ovulation drugs my body is not going to listen. Do not ovulate! Do you hear me?!? Egg retrieval is just around the corner, the end is near. I just have to keep my eye on the prize and that this time will pass quickly. My next appointment is Monday morning followed by a very much needed relaxing acupuncture treatment. Til then it is cheering on my follies to grow, grow, grow!




No comments:
Post a Comment