We are embarking upon on a new journey in hopes that we will someday have our forever baby. As you are well aware, conceiving has not come easily to us. It took us thirteen months to conceive our first baby only to lose our little love three short months later. We again moved forward with our family planning this last December and have suffered many disappointments.
With my age and questionable fertility playing a big factor, my doctor has referred us to an Reproductive Endocrinologist. I have many mixed emotions about this. Hearing those words "infertility" paired with the understanding that our chances of conceiving on our own being slim to nothing, I hit an all time new low. I have been subjected to a battery of blood work and my veins are tired. We have both undergone several other tests, and I still have many more in front of me. Thankfully Brian is not the cause of the problem, but I am and they say this is good. Bittersweet.
My doctor assures me that we can make this happen, but there are so many costs and steps involved - let alone all the insurance redtape. Infertility treatment is not covered by our insurance, but they do cover diagnosis. It is like, yea you are infertile and now you are on your own. Yet they will cover costs for vasectomy, tubal ligation, and abortion - this is so wrong in so many ways, but I won't even go there today. We are about to start mediated cycles involving daily self injections, monitoring, and timed IUI (intrauterine insemination) cycles. I am anxiously waiting for a call from the pharmacy regarding whether or not my insurance will at least cover our medications. If they do not, we are looking at enormous medication costs let alone the huge costs associated with IUIs. Today I came home to find the IUI denial letter on the dining table. I knew this was what would come of it, yet I had hope that there would be some coverage.
Children come easily to some, but not for others. This is something so hard for many people to understand and I have heard so many hurtful comments. Some being "you are trying too hard" or "it will happen when you least expect it" and so on. I know in my heart that these comments are meant with the best intentions, but they only hurt. Unfortunately, if we want to have a child, we have to put every effort to make this happen. I never saw this coming in a million years, but this is our future. As we take these next steps I find myself terrified, but my desires far out weigh my fears.
With my age and questionable fertility playing a big factor, my doctor has referred us to an Reproductive Endocrinologist. I have many mixed emotions about this. Hearing those words "infertility" paired with the understanding that our chances of conceiving on our own being slim to nothing, I hit an all time new low. I have been subjected to a battery of blood work and my veins are tired. We have both undergone several other tests, and I still have many more in front of me. Thankfully Brian is not the cause of the problem, but I am and they say this is good. Bittersweet.
My doctor assures me that we can make this happen, but there are so many costs and steps involved - let alone all the insurance redtape. Infertility treatment is not covered by our insurance, but they do cover diagnosis. It is like, yea you are infertile and now you are on your own. Yet they will cover costs for vasectomy, tubal ligation, and abortion - this is so wrong in so many ways, but I won't even go there today. We are about to start mediated cycles involving daily self injections, monitoring, and timed IUI (intrauterine insemination) cycles. I am anxiously waiting for a call from the pharmacy regarding whether or not my insurance will at least cover our medications. If they do not, we are looking at enormous medication costs let alone the huge costs associated with IUIs. Today I came home to find the IUI denial letter on the dining table. I knew this was what would come of it, yet I had hope that there would be some coverage.
Children come easily to some, but not for others. This is something so hard for many people to understand and I have heard so many hurtful comments. Some being "you are trying too hard" or "it will happen when you least expect it" and so on. I know in my heart that these comments are meant with the best intentions, but they only hurt. Unfortunately, if we want to have a child, we have to put every effort to make this happen. I never saw this coming in a million years, but this is our future. As we take these next steps I find myself terrified, but my desires far out weigh my fears.




No comments:
Post a Comment